Gasoline-powered cars that can be plugged into an outlet
Classic hybrid cars are usually driven by two types of internal combustion engine and electric motor. Previous generation models were typically equipped with systems that did not allow the charging of external battery batteries. PHEV-type vehicles that can be plugged and recharged from a regular household outlet are becoming more common today.
The abbreviation PHEV or PHV stands for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle or Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle respectively, that is, a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. This type of system is considered a priority because it has objective advantages and has no particular disadvantages.
The Toyota Prius is a best-seller, a recognized leader in hybrid cars worldwide. However, the developers were in no hurry to give it the opportunity to connect to the socket. They are aimed at buyers who are looking for the easiest to operate machine or do not have their own garage and access to external sources of electricity. However, taking into account all the advantages of technology, theTotomans still had to offer it to buyers. The PHV version can only be operated in hybrid mode and electrically only. The claimed range in the "Electro" mode is about 60 km, the maximum speed without the help of a gasoline engine is about 135 km / h.
Vehicles of this type may be electrically driven by energy from external sources. This feature allows them to be used as a regular electric vehicle for small and medium distances, for example, daily commuting. If required for high-speed driving or long-distance travel, the internal combustion engine will assist the drive. In fact, such vehicles are the interface between the traditional hybrid and the electric vehicle, embodying all the advantages and minimizing the disadvantages of each.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a well-known crossover from another Japanese manufacturer that can be “tucked in” right in your garage from a wall outlet. It is called the world's first PHEV crossover. This type of body made it possible to realize the idea of a car with a power cord without compromise in terms of space, comfort or design.
At the moment, most models of this type are cars. However, the technology is also being extended to commercial transport: buses, city vans and trucks.
The obvious advantages of PHEV / PHV technology are:
- In most cases, the cost of electricity to power the drive is much lower than the corresponding fuel cost required for the internal combustion engine. As a rule, it is no more than 20-25% of the price of the latter. In PHEV / PHV the drive is used to the maximum.
- The internal combustion engine is always ready. It will connect when the battery is low or in driving modes, when its performance is really high.
- Hybrids are relatively affordable (they don't need high-capacity batteries like electric cars) and are great for long distance travel.
- Using renewable electricity makes a plug-in hybrid one of the best environmental friendly vehicles available.
- The high torque of the electric motors provides good dynamic performance without additional environmental impact or gasoline / diesel fuel consumption.
The leaders of the car market are trying not to give in to the race of technology and offer their models that can be refueled and charged from the outlet. Among the most successful, famous and promising are the European (BMW i3 REx, BMW 330e, Volkswagen Passat GTE, Mercedes-Benz C350e, Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid, Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine, MINI Countryman SE), and Asian (Toyota Prius PHV, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Hyundai Ioniq PHEV) and American cars (Chevy Volt PHEV, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, Cadillac CT6 PHEV).
Leodrive offers rental of Toyota RAV4 Hybrid hybrid crossovers for rent in Lviv. To book a car - write to us or call us.